[Asterisk-Users] newbie questions

Brian Nehring bnehring at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:26:18 MST 2005

I'm sorry, I'm sure you get alot of this, but I'm new to Asterisk and
could use some help. I'm investigating migrating our small business
phone system over to Asterisk and VOIP. Eventually we'll have around 4
incoming SIP (or IAX if I can find one) accounts for PSTN
incoming/outgoing, then SIP hardphones in the office. I installed
Asterisk on OS X, which might be why I'm having problems. I have
Asterisk up and running fine, although it's giving one warning on
startup: WARNING[-1610571284]: File chan_iax2.c, Line 5170
(set_config): Ignoring port for now.

I'm not too concerned with this, because for now I'm just trying to
get an SIP softphone (X-Lite for OS X) connected to Asterisk, so I
don't need IAX listening on whatever port isn't working.

I setup a very basic config to let X-Lite connect, but all I see is
"Awaiting Proxy Information" in X-Lite. I see with netstat on the
server that it has a UDP for *.sip open, so I think it should be
listening for incoming, but it seems like it's not. I don't see a
firewall running, so I'm not really sure what's going on. I should be
getting an SIP hardphone in later this week, but I'd like to try to
get this debugged now.

If anyone could help I'd be much appreciative. If you guys have any
more questions or want to see my config files, please ask.

Thanks,
-Brian Nehring