[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & MySQL Blobs

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 14:30:07 MST 2005

--- Colin Anderson <ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com>
wrote:
> >Has anyone had production experience using * w/
> MySQL Blobs to store sound
> files?  The >application I am working on requires
> all user data resides in a
> database.   I am currently >reading/writing the
> files to disk via a phpagi
> scripts but I would love to read the blob into a>
> variable in the dial plan,
> etc.  It seems like a waste of resources to write
> and delete the file.
>
> Too bad your requirement is to have everything in
> the DB, 'cause you will be
> asking for trouble in the long run. BLOBs are
> probably the fastest way to
> kill your DB once you scale. I did an experiment a
> few years ago to stream
> faxes as BLOB's into a SQL server and performance
> beyond a few thousand
> records was to put it mildly crap.

Fair enough, I was thinking the same thing myself.

> IMO, use filesystem for files. Use DB for DB. Put a
> pointer in a field to
> the file. Your DB will love you for it.

The problem I suspect will arise is the number of
inodes allowed by the file system. I don't know the
exact size of the typical inode-max, but this will
also presumably become an issue when the user tries to
scale to really large amounts of faxes or voicemail!
Would it help to split the db off to a separate server
(that should reduce the CPU load on the asterisk
server)?

Any other alternatives? Anyone verified whether the
BLOB storage solution breaks down first or the number
of inodes runs out first? :)

Cheers,
Maya