[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & MySQL Blobs

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 7 14:42:38 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 13:30 -0800, beonice wrote:
> --- Colin Anderson <ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com>
> wrote:

> > IMO, use filesystem for files. Use DB for DB. Put a
> > pointer in a field to
> > the file. Your DB will love you for it.
>
> The problem I suspect will arise is the number of
> inodes allowed by the file system. I don't know the
> exact size of the typical inode-max, but this will
> also presumably become an issue when the user tries to
> scale to really large amounts of faxes or voicemail!
> Would it help to split the db off to a separate server
> (that should reduce the CPU load on the asterisk
> server)?
>
> Any other alternatives? Anyone verified whether the
> BLOB storage solution breaks down first or the number
> of inodes runs out first? :)

On a 40gig drive I have, there are 4.7million inodes.

On an 80gig drive I have there are 9.4million inodes.

Block size is (I think) 32k on these machines. At 32k I could only use
2.6 million inodes pointing to minimum sized files on the 80gig drive.

If you are worried about inodes, I believe it is xfs that dynamically
creates inodes as needed and won't run out.