[Asterisk-Users] Open files / socket leak

Manuel Wenger manuel.wenger at ticinocom.com
Mon Mar 7 06:17:01 MST 2005

We're using STABLE CVS-Nv1-0-5-02/24/05 and we've been noticing that
sometimes there's a socket leak on REGISTER SIP messages. We've seen it
happen only on customers using Sipura SPA2100 ATAs.

If I issue a "sip show channels", I see thousands of "zombie channels".
If I look into the details, that's what I get - actually one single "sip
show channel <channelID>" returns thousands of these:

  * SIP Call
  Direction:              Incoming
  Call-ID:                5c2cf755-ccde1b6c at x.x.x.xq: 520 REGISTER
  Our Codec Capability:   12
  Non-Codec Capability:   1
  Their Codec Capability:   0
  Joint Codec Capability:   0
  Format                  unknown
  Theoretical Address:    x.x.x.x:5060
  Received Address:       x.x.x.x:5060
  NAT Support:            RFC3581
  Our Tag:                715659627
  Their Tag:
  SIP User agent:
  Need Destroy:           0
  Last Message:
  Promiscuous Redir:      No
  Route:                  N/A
  DTMF Mode:              rfc2833

The sequence number (ie. 520) increases by 1 every time.

After a while, I run out of files and I have to restart asterisk. I have
temporarily solved the problem by issuing a "ulimit -n 8192" in
safe_asterisk, but that's not a solution, since I will eventually reach
that limit as well. Is there a way to fix this? We're running RHEL4 and
we have about 300 customers registered all the time.

Thank you very much
-Manuel