[Asterisk-Users] chan_sip not 100% RFC3665 compliant - re-REGISTERs fail.

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Mon Mar 7 06:54:42 MST 2005

Greetings,

For the past 2 months I've been struggling with registration problems
with asterisk+external FXS/FXO gateways (www.addpac.com) that use
RFC3665 re-registration procedure.

This problem occured for devices with more than one FXS port with a set
non-empty password.

Those gateway attempt to re-register after the initial register timeout
period expires fully compliant with RFC3665, clause 2.2
(http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC3665/Output/chapter2.html#sub2), but
asterisk fails to authenticate them.

The 1st FXS port of the device always registers successfuly (although
still uses same RFC3665, clause 2.2 procedure), but the remainder fail
miserably. Using an account/username with an empty password for the
affected ports fixes the problem - so this is something with www-digest
method (?).

I've spent 2 weeks debugging this with addpac development team, and the
same device authenticates flawlessly with Sonus Proxy Server, SNOM Proxy
Server, LongBoard Proxy Server, Nortel Proxy so this seems to be a
problem with chan_sip.

I'm hesitant to post the long sip debug outputs to the mailing list to
conserve the bandwidth. More info and sip debugs are available at
http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0003726

Is there anyone else with the same problem?

regards,
Vahan