[Asterisk-Users] X100P Clone, Which one?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Mar 5 13:17:08 MST 2005

On March 5, 2005 02:30 pm, Mike Dent wrote:
> There is a difference when you are that childs father or mother but
> you are neither?

You have a point, but... (read on)

> Do you stop people in the street when you see them doing things wrong
> and try and tell them "you shouldn't be doing it like that", "this is
> how you should do it".
> I hope not :) Essentially this list is the same.

It's not the same at all -- Random people in the street aren't in a forum
asking for help.  If you're making a ruckus in a public library I can and
have asked if you could tone it down, as it's a library and there are certain
"de-facto" rules which the majority of people adhere to.  c.f. for movie
theatres, bars, strip clubs, sports avenues, etc.

> There are lots of very helpful people, keen to provide help and
> enthusiasm to new asterisk people, then there are those who seem to
> have so much time on there hands they have to reply to every newbies
> question telling them to "go and look
> at google before asking that here!"

I implore you to go do some of this research yourself before trying to paint
me with a certain brush.  This thread aside, what percentage of my posts to
-users are helpful, and what percentage are for educating newbies in
ettiquette?  Finally, what percentage are me just out-and-out flaming a
newbie?  Perhaps it's just my rants that seem to catch your eye?

> And how exactly is that?

A generally helpful forum for people WHO HAVE SHOWED A MODICUM OF RESEARCH to
obtain assistance in setting up, running and diagnosing problems with their
Asterisk installations.  Without some form of rules or "policing" as you want
to call it, this forum would not be as effective as it is.

I think where the problem comes in is that people take this forum to be
asterisk-biz half the time.  "I need X done **RIGHT NOW**!!  I DEMAND HELP!!"
-- take it to -biz, there are dozens if not hundreds of consultants who will
happily exchange money for experience.  This forum is for people who want to
learn.  Really really want to learn, not just gesticulate the intention.

-A.