[Asterisk-Users] X100P Clone, Which one?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Mar 5 12:46:38 MST 2005

Mike Dent wrote:

>>And if nobody's going to educate the newbies, then how will they ever learn?
>>Do you believe in letting your children do whatever they want, too?  There
>>are 'defacto' rules for any system.  No, I don't have my shiny ListCop<tm>
>>

>There is a difference when you are that childs father or mother but
>you are neither?
>
>Do you stop people in the street when you see them doing things wrong
>and try and tell them "you shouldn't be doing it like that", "this is
>how you should do it".
>I hope not :) Essentially this list is the same.
>
>There are lots of very helpful people, keen to provide help and
>enthusiasm to new asterisk people, then there are those who seem to
>have so much time on there hands they have to reply to every newbies
>question telling them to "go and look
>at google before asking that here!"

Maybe one of the free web-based forum packages will eventually offer an
"elitist" or "impatient" mode. Before you can post, you do the required
reading and pass online exams. The idea is to weed out people who think
README is just another geek buzzword. You have to know what a FAQ is and
you have to know what RTFM means.

Most of those people who tend to scold every newbie are probably
"elitist pretenders". If they were truly elite, they would be too busy
to read and reply to such posts. Of course some of us are just
impatient, regardless of our skill level.