[Asterisk-Users] Nasty little incident ...

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Jun 16 07:06:08 MST 2005

> > Just a wild guess....
> >
> > When the two meridian links disappeared, the channel numbers
> > probably changed. Instead of channels 1 through 124, you probably
> > have channels 1 through 62 and your supporting dialplan (and other
> > channel specific items) likely don't match.
>
> No - just because the span goes doesn't mean its gone.  Its simply there
> and down.
>
> Here's my theory as to the problem:  In the config, Spans 1 and 3 are to
> the telco, 2 and 4 to the old pbx.  Clocking is being taken from spans 1
> and 3.
>
> Now the symptom when the meridian was disconnected was like zaptel had no
> clock.
>
> So theory one is that the spans are actually plugged into the board
> "upside down", with telco on 4 and 2, meridian on 3 and 1.  so when the
> meridian was disconnected there was no more clock.
>
> Second theory is that the zaptel.conf was changed - maybe moving which
> spans clock comes from - and the zaptel modules weren't reloaded or ztcfg
> wasn't run.
>
> Port 1 on the TE410P is at the "top" (away from the mobo), btw.

The E1 card does not receive "clocking" from any span. It "sync's"
the on-board clock to whatever span you choose. If you watch what
others have posted on the list over many months, you'll notice many
have never specified a clock sync source. The problem they have is
typically associated with clicking and other audio distortion; not
a total failure.

So, highly unlikely to have anything to do with clock sync.