[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Maron Kristófersson maron at transistor.tv
Mon Jun 13 20:49:00 MST 2005

Hi List.

I think we as users have a choice to look at this a bit differently.
You as a user, consultant or reseller of asterisk services, simply have
more options here.  It also makes it much easier to implement asterisk
in the enterprise to be able to provide it with guaranteed support.

I for my part, now can choose to install Asterisk and support it myself,
with access to the community, or I can install Asterisk and buy support
directly from Digium. Guaranteeing quality and support is quite hard
while providing source code, Digium could easily spend countless hours
on a bug implemented by their customer (and the customer would furiously
deny that he had made any changes).

It wouldn't make any sense for digium to implement features only in the
proprietary license spectrum, when they can do it and get it tested
opensource for free, unless there is a really big enterprise ready to
pay to iron out the bugs and test it.

No complaints from me here as long as their sticking to the same source
(as Kevin says clearly below).  Just as well I think there are
mailing-lists available on the internet to discuss various licensing
options.

Maron Kristofersson