[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Jun 5 16:50:17 MST 2005

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

> If they are "fixing" things in ABE that are broken in "Open Source", and
> not simply backing out features, they why aren't these bug fixes in the
> open source version?

As stated in my other reply, this is very much untrue. There are no
fixes applied to ABE (or new features, for that matter) that don't
originate from CVS HEAD.

> I've just not been impressed with Digium's behaviour lately.  They've
> gotten quite hostile over Sangoma hardware lately, claiming that Sangoma
> (by continuing to develop, refine, and expand their hardware lines,
> which are much older than asterisk, and which asterisk was originally
> developed on) are just ripping them off.  If anything, Digium is ripping
> people off with hardware which is inferior (though I've seen claims that
> they have some good new stuff coming - excellent!).

Exactly where did you hear that Asterisk was "originally developed on
Sangoma hardware"? Nothing could be farther from the truth; the very
earliest Asterisk code supported some funky Voice-over-Frame-Relay
hardware, then it was modified to support the Zapata hardware from the
Zapata open source hardware group. Digium has never had any drivers for
Sangoma hardware, and still doesn't. Any Asterisk support for Sangoma
hardware has been built by Sangoma.

And yes, we do have some exciting new hardware in the works... we hope
that you all will be as happy to buy/use it as we are to develop it!