[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Jun 5 16:46:15 MST 2005

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

> In either case, since they are committed to the open source model, are
> they willing to tell us what features/bug fixes in CVS are considered an
> increased liability and risk, or what important features and bug fixes
> they've applied on top of CVS?  This could help those of us trying to
> build stable, robust, asterisk-based solutions promote asterisk as a
> stable, robust, low-risk platform.

There is absolutely _no_ code in ABE that is not in CVS HEAD, except for
the code related to license control required for the commercial product
and an installer (since it's a binary distribution). We have not, and
will not, put any bug fixes or new features into ABE that do not go into
CVS HEAD as well (and in fact I don't think there's any situation where
a feature would go into ABE first).

Simply stated, ABE is a supported, documented, tested and commercially
packaged/licensed version of Asterisk, designed for companies who want
such a package. It is missing quite a number of features from CVS HEAD
that were deemed unnecessary and/or difficult to support, and it will
not be updated as often as CVS HEAD itself is (or even as often as the
stable releases are made), from what I understand. It does not come with
source code, nor is the exact source code available to anyone outside of
Digium, which is done purely for support reasons. ABE users can call
Digium support and the support staff will know _exactly_ what they are
running, since it is a packaged release.