[Asterisk-Users] DNIS and DID seeking confirmation

John Millican john at millican.us
Mon Jun 13 09:01:30 MST 2005

Hello all,
After much googling I have come to the conclusion that in asterisk land
DID(Direct Inward Dial) and DNIS(Dialed Number Identification Service) are
used rather interchangeably. If this is an incorrect assumption Please
correct me.  Based on this assumption if I have everthing set up to land in
the [incoming] context and an 800# such as 1-800-123-4567 with 4 digit DNIS I
can have an entry in my incoming context  exten => _4567, 1, do something
this is where the call to my 800 number will land regardless of which trunk
the call comes in on. Like wise if I have a DID number 456-7891 with an
exten=> _7891,1,do something else  this will also work.  Is this correct or
am I way off base?
Also what is Asterisk looking for as far as a delimiter or is that in a config
file?  Something like Seize (Wink) DNIS (Wink) ANI (Wink) Answer  or Seize
(*) DNIS (*) ANI (*) Answer

John M