[Asterisk-Users] Newie Questions

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Fri Jun 10 14:38:36 MST 2005

Yes asterisk not only competes with avaya and Nortel but exceeds them once you know what you are doing.

If you are only new to Asterisk there is now asterisk at home http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net

don't be put off by the name - people run entire companies on this version)
The asterisk at home solution the easiest way to get started. It is an .iso cd that you burn, load into a suitable PC (I run mine on a P3-700) and this super smart scripting code automatically installs the following software;
Asterisk (the open source switching software)
AMP (an open source release of a gui configurator) they have their own separate sourceforge website https://sourceforge.net/projects/amportal
FOP (a graphical web page for transferring calls, monitoring who is online etc) http://www.asternic.org
Web meetme (a graphical web page for monitoring and controlling conference calls)

Check out www.voip-info.org for information about configuring your Polycom

Welcome to the family.

Cheers,
Dean