[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Mon Jun 6 00:37:51 MST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 02:50, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
--snip--
> > I've just not been impressed with Digium's behaviour lately.  They've
> > gotten quite hostile over Sangoma hardware lately, claiming that Sangoma
> > (by continuing to develop, refine, and expand their hardware lines,
> > which are much older than asterisk, and which asterisk was originally
> > developed on) are just ripping them off.  If anything, Digium is ripping
> > people off with hardware which is inferior (though I've seen claims that
> > they have some good new stuff coming - excellent!).
>
> Exactly where did you hear that Asterisk was "originally developed on
> Sangoma hardware"? Nothing could be farther from the truth; the very
> earliest Asterisk code supported some funky Voice-over-Frame-Relay
> hardware, then it was modified to support the Zapata hardware from the
> Zapata open source hardware group. Digium has never had any drivers for
> Sangoma hardware, and still doesn't. Any Asterisk support for Sangoma
> hardware has been built by Sangoma.
--snip--

"When I wrote Asterisk originally, I used a Sangoma Frame-Relay card to talk
to an Adtran Atlas, and used the Atlas to drive a channel bank. I got all
this stuff running but it was a pretty big mess at the time," recalls
Spencer. "I faced a number of problems in the development of this. One of the
primary problems was that of finding hardware to connect the PC to the phone
system. The hardware available was as expensive as a PBX itself. Of course,
once I got it working, I could add expensive features in software for
practically no cost -- other than time to write the code -- but the hardware
issue was definitely a problem."

Source: http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8678310302.html

Lets get our facts straight shall we. It appears that the FIRST ever hardware
suported by Asterisk was Sangoma ;-)

Cheers
--

Peter Nixon