[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question: HOWTO make outgoing call on SIP account from internal extensions?

Steve asterisk at michiganbroadband.com
Wed Jun 1 20:51:48 MST 2005

Ok I'm still playing and the way it's supposed to work is making much more
sense now.

However it is still 'not working' as soon as I add this:

> [sipproviderexample.com]
> type=peer
> host=sipprovider.com
> fromuser=2135551212
> secret=2135551212
> fromdomain=sipproviderexample.com

to sip.conf

I also learned that I needed to replace the internal IP host= with
sipproviderexample.com

for whatever reason the example I had been working off of was showing
an internal address for that

What is breaking is that the asterisk box stops accepting ANY inbound
calls via sipprovider.com as soon as I add the extension noted above.

I have also tried many variations of that...
and using another context besides default.
No change.

It flat out 'stops working' no inbound calls (from PTSN via sip provider)
as soon as I add that  to  sip.conf and associate it with any ANY context.

even associating it with an empty context (no dialplan lines) in
extensions.conf it behaves the same way.

If I comment it out inbound calls work perfectly well all day long

I'm baffled and it's very frusterating!

if I attempt an inbound call in this non-working state from PSTN this is
what I see with sip debug:

Sip read:
ACK sip:s at y.y.y.y SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP x.x.x.x;branch=z9hG4bKdf72.63b2d483.1