[Asterisk-Users] A TDM issue..

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jul 26 09:22:43 MST 2005

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 11:31, chouck wrote:
> That is what I was worried about.  Let me try and explain the situation a
> bit better... Basically I have an existing P.A. system that works by simply
> picking up the line that it is connected to.  So basically I just pick up a
> phone and I am instantly talking over the P.A.  So what I wanted to do was
> hook the line into an fxs port (instead of a standard phone) and dial an
> extension from anywhere and have it instantly bridge me to the line.  I
> figured this would be simple and I thought that the answer command would do
> it for me.. for instance

Ok let me make sure I understand.

You have a PA system that takes a regular phone.  When you pick up the phone
the PA keys and you talk.

The PA system is acting like a phone company -- it provides battery voltage to
the regular phone.

You want to replace the regular phone with Asterisk.

Asterisk needs to look like a phone to the PA system.

That's a FXO port, not an FXS port.

So... Get yourself an FXO port and Dial(Zap/1) -- it will work exactly as
expected.

> exten=1234,1,Answer(ZAP/1)

exten => 1234,1,Dial(Zap/1)

No immediate mode needed.  It was just a misconception of how the system
interfaced.  :-)

-A.