[Asterisk-Users] Is soekris good?

Juraj Bednar jooray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:16:34 MST 2005

Hello,

   I just got my Soekris 4801 box for use with Asterisk, but not as a
primary Asterisk server.

> * Asterisk at home (Is @home or regular better?)

   If you want to run from CF, I recommend running some distribution
(that does not take much space) and your own Asterisk... I'm not even
sure if it be that easy to install Asterisk on Soekris in the first
place.

    I found documentation not being that good for installs, I found a
wonderful page describing the install process:
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=22

> * Shorwall firewall

    Try to get a real firewall, Shorewall has quite high latency. You
should optimize...

> * QoS

    This could be quite CPU intensive...

> * astcc
> * h.323 module
> * wakeup
> * festival ???? (Maybe the CPU / RAM is too low for that)
> * MOH
> * voice mail
> * ???

    Some things are quite CPU intensive. Why do you want to use
Soekris BTW? Some more powerful Mini-ITX could do the job better I
believe. Don't take me wrong, I love those Soekris boxes, but it's
266MHz Goede processor, you want far too much from it I believe...

> Some questions about Soekris:
> What is in the package? (Power adapter?, CF?, manual? ...)

     Nothing, just box and the board.

> How to install it?

     See the link above.

> What is the CF size you are using? and how much is still free? What have
> you installed?

     For my setup I installed OpenBSD, although I primarily use Debian
GNU/Linux. The OpenBSD choice was because of the vpn card for Soekris,
which is better supported under OpenBSD. I installed the base package
except games and manual pages, about 60MB was still free (I used 256MB
compact flash card).

       Juraj.