[Asterisk-Users] Is soekris good?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Thu Jul 21 00:36:05 MST 2005

Ronald_Wiplinger wrote:
> asterisk_on_oelf wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a soekris 4801 since some days. I use it with a FritzCard-USB
>> and an
>> internal HFC-Card (NT Mode). Everything is working, but I still havn't
>> had time
>> for performance test. Only thing I tested, was two ISDN channels via
>> FritzCard
>> in a conference room. CPU usage was nearly 70%
>> I hope next weekend I'll find more time.
>>
>> What WiFi phone do you want to use? I tried a ZyXEL P2000W, but voice
>> quality
>> was very bad.
>>
> Jens,
>
> I am trying to find out what is the best board for us.
> I want to build an asterisk based PBX with one digium TDM422 card.
> A USB wireless adapter should make the entire system with:
> * Asterisk at home (Is @home or regular better?)
> * Shorwall firewall
> * QoS
> * Hotspot for wireless phones
> * web server for Asterisk (billing, settings) - maybe thttpd since it
> also can IPv6
> * IPv6 in the second step (I think @home cannot IPv6)
> * astcc
> * h.323 module
> * wakeup
> * festival ???? (Maybe the CPU / RAM is too low for that)
> * MOH
> * voice mail
> * ???
>
> What do you think about it? Is the 4801 right for that?
>
> Some questions about Soekris:
> What is in the package? (Power adapter?, CF?, manual? ...)
> How to install it?
> What is the CF size you are using? and how much is still free? What have
> you installed?
>
> We are in the process to develop a WiFi phone, ....
>

> bye
>
> Ronald

Everyone,

	Asterisk at Home is a distribution that includes Asterisk.  Asterisk is an
application.  Asterisk at Home cannot be compared to Asterisk, they are not
the same thing.  With that being said, Asterisk at Home is basically CentOS
that installs Asterisk by default,  Myself and others have pointed this
out several times on this list.

	Secondly, you would NEVER want to run Asterisk at Home on a Soekris or any
embedded device.  It's WAY too huge, plus running it from flash would be
a bad idea.

	Third, the Soekris Net4801 will probably not be able to handle the
TDM422.  Echo cancellation and transcoding will probably bring it to
it's knees.

	As far as IPv6, Asterisk cannot do IPv6 anyways (I know there were some
patches at one time, but I don't think they are current).  Use a
Mini-PCI  wireless card instead.

	Overall, it looks like you are trying to cram WAY TOO MUCH
functionality into one box, especially something like the Soekris Net4801!

--
Kristian Kielhofner