[Asterisk-Users] OT: Potential reasonable solution to the 911 problem, integrate t o Asterisk?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Jul 21 12:14:53 MST 2005

>From Slashdot
http://slashdot.org/articles/05/07/21/0135213.shtml?tid=126&tid=95 :

"One of the points made is that there is sometimes no way to tell the
location of a VOIP phone, which is a problem if you are unable to talk.

How about if the VOIP app. insisted that you record a 30 second emergency
message (stating your location/name/whatever) when being installed and then
watched what numbers you were dialling. If you ever dialled 911, and then if
there was more than 20 seconds of dead airtime, began to play the message
over and over. "

Which seems like a reasonable stopgap measure. I don't think it would be
hard to make an AGI app that does this; the first time that you called out
any number with a new Asterisk install it would intercept it and
Allison-prompts would walk you through recording this message. After the
message gets recorded, call flow would continue normally.

I'm just throwing this out as an idea to see if anyone becomes inspired. If
this AGI gets created, it would be a community service kind of thing, I
can't see it as compliance with FCC regs. It would be nice to see this
integrated into a at h.