[Asterisk-Users] OT: Potential reasonable solution to the 911 problem, integrate t o Asterisk?

Thu Jul 21 19:07:25 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 13:14 -0600, Colin Anderson wrote:
> >From Slashdot
> http://slashdot.org/articles/05/07/21/0135213.shtml?tid=126&tid=95 :
>
> "One of the points made is that there is sometimes no way to tell the
> location of a VOIP phone, which is a problem if you are unable to talk.
>
> How about if the VOIP app. insisted that you record a 30 second emergency
> message (stating your location/name/whatever) when being installed and then
> watched what numbers you were dialling. If you ever dialled 911, and then if
> there was more than 20 seconds of dead airtime, began to play the message
> over and over. "
>
> Which seems like a reasonable stopgap measure. I don't think it would be
> hard to make an AGI app that does this; the first time that you called out
> any number with a new Asterisk install it would intercept it and
> Allison-prompts would walk you through recording this message. After the
> message gets recorded, call flow would continue normally.

IMHO, the benefit of this might increase if you also looked at the IP
address the call is from, so if the IP the call is from changes, then
you re-request the recording. Might need to relax this to allow IP's
within a /19 or something though....
You might also re-request this message every 6 months or some other
basis... don't restrict the length of the message, but as a guideline,
you might suggest the user record something along the lines of "This is
a recording I made on <date>, my address is <address> my mobile phone
number is <number>, this message is playing because I have dialled 911
and haven't said anything" that way you inform the operator how old the
recording is, your address, and your mobile number (so they can possibly
track you down / call you)...

Just my 0.02c