[Asterisk-Users] RE: Business Edition

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Jul 21 10:19:13 MST 2005

Jay Milk wrote:

>Who is getting the better end of the deal?

Well, Digium, of course.  I certainly hope that they've made way more
money from Asterisk than I ever expect to save or make.  And I certainly
expect that Digium has made way more money from Asterisk because they've
open-sourced it than they ever could have hoped to make by not doing so.

>By OS'ing Asterisk, Digium has given many folks the means to earn a
>living

Yes, indeed, as well as themselves.

And all that I'm saying is that this is completely expected, natural,
and fair.  I've no argument against this.

What I am saying, though, is that Digium didn't give out royalty-free
proprietary licenses to Asterisk, instead, they gave out GPL licenses to
Asterisk.  Why, then, do they require that contributions are made any
differently?  Why do they require freedoms with contribution that they
did not give with theirs?  Well, probably because they believe that
they're owed that, and probably because many others in the community not
unlike yourself agree with that opinion as well.

Lee.