[Asterisk-Users] RE: Business Edition

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 21 11:02:59 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 10:19 -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> What I am saying, though, is that Digium didn't give out royalty-free
> proprietary licenses to Asterisk, instead, they gave out GPL licenses to
> Asterisk.  Why, then, do they require that contributions are made any
> differently?  Why do they require freedoms with contribution that they
> did not give with theirs?  Well, probably because they believe that
> they're owed that, and probably because many others in the community not
> unlike yourself agree with that opinion as well.

There was some discussion about a month or so ago, and a digium rep
piped up to even help try to clarify this particular issue if memory
serves.

You do not give up your copyright on your contributed code.  You do not
have to give them full rights to your code if you do not wish to.  You
have an option to contribute GPL only code.

If this is incorrect I fully expect a digium employee to speak up, but
if I remember correctly that is what was said at the end of the previous
thread.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378