[Asterisk-Users] Is soekris good?

asterisk_on_oelf asterisk at oelf.net
Thu Jul 21 01:22:00 MST 2005

> I am trying to find out what is the best board for us.
> I want to build an asterisk based PBX with one digium TDM422 card.
> A USB wireless adapter should make the entire system with:
> * Asterisk at home (Is @home or regular better?)

I have no experiences with @home. I use a debian. Debian sarge includes
asterisk
1.0.7.
Debian unstable includes 1.0.9.

> * Shorwall firewall
> * QoS

I don't know shorwall. I use iptables with stateful inspection and HFSC
shaping
as described in the wiki pages.

> * Hotspot for wireless phones
> * web server for Asterisk (billing, settings) - maybe thttpd since it
> also can IPv6
> * IPv6 in the second step (I think @home cannot IPv6)
> * astcc
> * h.323 module
> * wakeup
> * festival ???? (Maybe the CPU / RAM is too low for that)
> * MOH
> * voice mail
> * ???
>
> What do you think about it? Is the 4801 right for that?

I'm afraid CPU and RAM is to low for all that things (some test result will
follow in the next days)
The TDM422 could be to large for the case provided by soekris, so you have to
use your own case.

> Some questions about Soekris:
> What is in the package? (Power adapter?, CF?, manual? ...)

In the package is only the board (in the case if orderd with case). You
have to
order power adapter too.
The manual you can found on the web page. CF is not included.

> How to install it?

http://www.soekris.com/support.htm
I used "Running Debian Linux, by Mike Machado"
After the initial installation, I updated to standard debian via Internet.

> What is the CF size you are using? and how much is still free? What
> have you installed?

First I used a 256MB CF card. It is enought for the installation
described in my
last mail. Round about 60MB was still free.
But now I added hylafax. That need a lot of space, because it needs
ghostscript
to convert and ghostscript wanted some x-libraries. :-(
So I have replaced the 256MB CF with a 2GB micro drive (only ~350MB
used at the
moment) . This has some more advantages. I think smart drive have more
read/write-cycles. Thats better for voicemail and fax.

bye

Jens