[Asterisk-Users] Is soekris good?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Jul 20 23:48:12 MST 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:59:05AM +0800, Ronald_Wiplinger wrote:
> asterisk_on_oelf wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a soekris 4801 since some days. I use it with a FritzCard-USB
> >and an
> >internal HFC-Card (NT Mode). Everything is working, but I still havn't
> >had time
> >for performance test. Only thing I tested, was two ISDN channels via
> >FritzCard
> >in a conference room. CPU usage was nearly 70%
> >I hope next weekend I'll find more time.
> >
> >What WiFi phone do you want to use? I tried a ZyXEL P2000W, but voice
> >quality
> >was very bad.
> >
> Jens,
>
> I am trying to find out what is the best board for us.
> I want to build an asterisk based PBX with one digium TDM422 card.
> A USB wireless adapter should make the entire system with:
> * Asterisk at home (Is @home or regular better?)

Asterisk at homes approach is to give you a toolbox for building Asterisk
on your system. This works fine for a PC, but generates an over-inflated
system if you want to generate an embedded-type system.

Now from my point of view: what are your recommendations for building a
CF-based system from based on Debian Sarge?

> * Shorwall firewall

Why shorewall? Why not "firewall"? I believe that the rules shorewall
creates are not very efficient, latency-wise.

> * QoS
> * Hotspot for wireless phones
> * web server for Asterisk (billing, settings) - maybe thttpd since it
> also can IPv6
> * IPv6 in the second step (I think @home cannot IPv6)
> * astcc
> * h.323 module
> * wakeup
> * festival ???? (Maybe the CPU / RAM is too low for that)
> * MOH
> * voice mail
> * ???
>
> What do you think about it? Is the 4801 right for that?

Some of that is CPU intensive. Festival, MOH(?), astcc(?), voip with a
compressed codec. The sokeris box may be enough for a light load,
though.