[Asterisk-Users] SIP phone failover using DNS SRV?

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Wed Jul 20 20:34:13 MST 2005

Rana Dutt wrote:
> Has anyone successfully had a SIP phone fail over from Asterisk Server A to Server B using DNS SRV?
>
> If so, which phone worked for you? I'm assuming you set up your DNS SRV records so that the IP
 >adresses of A and B are associated with the same name, and both
servers have equal priority and equal weight.

> In order to make calls through B after A goes down, do you have to wait as long as the registration retry
 > interval? Or can you make calls through B as soon as you pick up the
phone and dial, because the INVITE
 >message through A fails, and the phone re-sends the INVITE through B?
>
> Thanks for any help. We've been trying this with Aastra 480i phones and SJ Phone without much luck so far.

I do this with SIPura.  I tell the box to use DNS SRV records.  The
first record points to the internal IP of my asterisk server (for use
when I am at the home/office).  The second one points to the external IP
of my router that has port forwarding.  I can roam pretty much anywhere
without any reconfiguration.

--
Eric Wieling * BTEL Consulting * 504-210-3699 x2120