[Asterisk-Users] SIP phone failover using DNS SRV?

Rana Dutt staruser at softelinc.com
Wed Jul 20 18:12:41 MST 2005

Has anyone successfully had a SIP phone fail over from Asterisk Server A to Server B using DNS SRV?

If so, which phone worked for you? I'm assuming you set up your DNS SRV records so that the IP addresses of A and B are associated with the same name, and both servers have equal priority and equal weight.

In order to make calls through B after A goes down, do you have to wait as long as the registration retry interval? Or can you make calls through B as soon as you pick up the phone and dial, because the INVITE message through A fails, and the phone re-sends the INVITE through B?

Thanks for any help. We've been trying this with Aastra 480i phones and SJ Phone without much luck so far.

Rana