[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and flash disks

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Jul 20 09:25:32 MST 2005

Angus Comber wrote:
> Hello
>
> I see it is possible to buy Flash Disks up to 4GB now.  Has anyone
> any experience of building an Asterisk system with a flash disk as
> the only storage device?  Any brands you recommend?  Is 2 or 4GB
> enough for an Asterisk installation?  Typically how many MB is
> required for voicemail recording files for say a 10 user system? What
> about voicemail - I suppose files could be emailed and deleted
> immediately?
>
> Angus Comber angus at NOSPAMiteloffice.com

Angus,

	Perhaps you would be interested in my distro:

http://www.astlinux.org

	It is a full Asterisk PBX (among other things) that was designed to run
from compact flash cards 32mb or larger.

	You will want to make sure that you don't install general purpose
distros onto compact flash cards without taking into consideration the
(somewhat) limited number of Compact Flash write cycles.  Compact flash
can burn out if you write too much, and I fear that the other solutions
out there do not take this into account.

	As far as actual CF cards, I can't recommend anything other than
Sandisk.  On my AstLinux-Users mailing list, shoddy CF's are probably
the most common problem.  Everything from bad IDE emulation to poor
reliability, just get Sandisk.  They don't mess around with CF cards! :)

--
Kristian Kielhofner