[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and flash disks

Paul Hewlett paul at cottonpickinminds.co.za
Thu Jul 21 03:00:29 MST 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 15:49, Angus Comber wrote:
> Hello
>
> I see it is possible to buy Flash Disks up to 4GB now.  Has anyone any
> experience of building an Asterisk system with a flash disk as the only
> storage device?  Any brands you recommend?  Is 2 or 4GB enough for an
> Asterisk installation?  Typically how many MB is required for voicemail
> recording files for say a 10 user system? What about voicemail - I suppose
> files could be emailed and deleted immediately?

I have been using flash-based asterisk and it works fine as long as you are
careful about the maker - SanDisk did not work properly, we currently use the
RiData flash disk and are happy with it. I have a Kingston Tech flash disk
that was flaky and finally failed yesterday.

They are not the fastest - running hdparm -tT on them reveals a speed of 2Mb/s
which is about a third of the speed of 100Mbits ethernet. For call recording
I usually add an IDE hard drive and make sure that most filesystems
(e.g. /var,/tmp..) are loaded into a RAM disk

Paul Hewlett

--
Paul Hewlett - CottonPickinMinds - www.cottonpickinminds.co.za
Tel: +27 21 852 8812      Cel: +27 84 420 9282      Fax: +27 86 672 0563