[Asterisk-Users] Difference between Asterisk and Asterisk@home

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sun Jul 17 20:51:38 MST 2005

Mark Phillips wrote:
> I think that AAH would suit you fine for a small business application.
> It is not crippled in any way. Far from it in fact. It has more features
> installed as default than the latest CVS version.

	Not to sound rude, but that doesn't make any sense.  Or I'm reading it
wrong :).

	Asterisk at Home is a distro that by default includes a release version of
Asterisk STABLE.  First of all, you can't even directly compare the two
(Asterisk vs. Asterisk at Home).  Would you compare an engine by itself to
an entire car?  No, you wouldn't.  Don't do it here, either.

	Secondly, unless they are doing some mad branching and patching, there
is NO WAY that the version of "stable" that they include has more
"Asterisk" features than CVS HEAD.  They include some applications that
help enable some Asterisk features (mysql, mpg123, etc), but there is no
reason that you can't get all of that with another distro (albeit not as
easily) and Asterisk stable, or even more "Asterisk" features with all
of those applications and CVS HEAD.

> It is however based on the latest "official" release of the Asterisk
> code (whatever that is at the time you download the disk) and so may not
> have some of the latest bug fixes etc.
>
> Go for it! I've install a few for my customers and they love it.

	Great!  Use what works!

--
Kristian Kielhofner