[Asterisk-Users] OT (kinda): Justification for adding Asteriskto the business plan

Randy Williams randyw at techsource.com
Fri Jul 15 06:37:02 MST 2005

Greetings,

I would encourage you to consider this item VERY carefully as customers
could get very irritated with Asterisk very quickly.  For some context,
we just finished a 3 month rollout of Asterisk across 40 handsets and
three remote locations.  While it works now, it was by far the worst
project I've been a part of.

Even with excellent technical support (The Voip Connection) there simply
are issues in the Asterisk world that customers are not ready for.  The
old "lock-in" model of the telecom world was nasty and monopolistic and
expensive, but by jove it just worked.  The PSTN is required by law to
have 5 9's worth of uptime.  What communications technology can you
point to that has that level of uptime?

If you do not have developers on staff that have; years of experience in
the telecom world, years of experience with Linux, years of networking
experience and months of SIP phone experience at their disposal than I
would encourage you to not offer this service to your customers.
Because as you've seen from this list ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can, and
does, go wrong with this technology.

Now that being said, in 5 years, everyone will be doing this, but that
is 5 years from now.

If I had been given any other choice, and I wasn't, I would have chucked
Asterisk and paid 3x the price for a Semens/Nortel IP switch in a
heartbeat.  It would have saved me hours of endless hassles, dozens of
lost important phone calls, hours of downtime and weeks of nearly rapid
frustration from my users.  Yes, it was that bad.

However, now that its here, and relatively stable, it works like no
other telecom technology I've seen or worked near (I'm not that well
versed on telecom though).

Just my $0.02.

RandyW