[Asterisk-Users] Multiple NICs on Asterisk box

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Jul 15 00:00:02 MST 2005

Dave Cotton wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:31 +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
>

>>3)  The alias suggestion
>>I did not understand this at the time I received it - Had I noticed
>>Tzafrir's pointer to the ethernet HOWTO, I would have realised that
>>alias in this context was not giving an alias to the eth0/1 names. Oops
>>sorry, again.
>>However, although I discarded this idea originally for the wrong reason,
>>it still shouldn't (and didn't) solve the problem. If the names eth0 &
>>eth1 are defined only after the NICs are sensed, then force-loading the
>>wrong module should not force the interfaces to swop around.
>>I added the 2 alias entries into /etc/modprobe.conf.local and did an
>>init 6. The darn 3com came up first so nothing was proven (although the
>>hopes ran higher). I powered down and powered up and luckily the Realtek
>>came up first - and as eth0. I now expected the 3c59x module to be
>>forced onto the Realtek interface (due to the alias's), but there were
>>no boot time or other messages and I could ping the network - but not
>>authenticate my SW as the 3com NIC was now 2nd in  the que.
>>

>As the person who put forward the alias solution I can only say either
>you've got some very strange motherboard or Suse has a very strange
>startup routine. Because if the alias solution did not work I'd be in
>very big trouble.
>
>I have headless machines running throughout France which must come up
>the same way every time, if not their ADSL connection would be plugged
>into the wrong NIC. I'd have to talk someone who does not know an rj45
>from a carrot through changing over cables and that's after I found
>someone who would open the cabinet.

Hi Dave,
I smile at the description of your remote users's capabilities. You are
not alone :-)

I've had this HW running successfully on SuSE SLES8, 9.1 and 9.2
It is only since 9.3 that this intermittent swopping story is an issue.
I posted a similar question about this on SuSE lists, but it got
ignored. Interesting that no one from Novell chooses to respond to, or
notice the post.

Cheers

Zoltan

--