[Asterisk-Users] Multiple NICs on Asterisk box

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Thu Jul 14 15:02:19 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:31 +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:

> 3)  The alias suggestion
> I did not understand this at the time I received it - Had I noticed
> Tzafrir's pointer to the ethernet HOWTO, I would have realised that
> alias in this context was not giving an alias to the eth0/1 names. Oops
> sorry, again.
> However, although I discarded this idea originally for the wrong reason,
> it still shouldn't (and didn't) solve the problem. If the names eth0 &
> eth1 are defined only after the NICs are sensed, then force-loading the
> wrong module should not force the interfaces to swop around.
> I added the 2 alias entries into /etc/modprobe.conf.local and did an
> init 6. The darn 3com came up first so nothing was proven (although the
> hopes ran higher). I powered down and powered up and luckily the Realtek
> came up first - and as eth0. I now expected the 3c59x module to be
> forced onto the Realtek interface (due to the alias's), but there were
> no boot time or other messages and I could ping the network - but not
> authenticate my SW as the 3com NIC was now 2nd in  the que.

As the person who put forward the alias solution I can only say either
you've got some very strange motherboard or Suse has a very strange
startup routine. Because if the alias solution did not work I'd be in
very big trouble.

I have headless machines running throughout France which must come up
the same way every time, if not their ADSL connection would be plugged
into the wrong NIC. I'd have to talk someone who does not know an rj45
from a carrot through changing over cables and that's after I found
someone who would open the cabinet.

--
Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>