[Asterisk-Users] Multiple NICs on Asterisk box

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Jul 13 09:45:02 MST 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:40:38PM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> Hi All,
> Long time no chat ;-)
>
> Asterisk 1.0.9 (sometimes) won't authenticate IAX phones after re-boot
> of SuSE 9.3 box
>
> I've traced the problem to be with the firewall and the fact that I have
> 2 NICs in the box. Now that I have opened port 4569 on both interfaces,

What do you mean? Make asterisk listen on 0.0.0.0 .

> asterisk seems happy *but* does anyone know how to force SuSE 9.3 to
> always bring up a specific NIC before the otherone?

Does it listen on all interfaces?

> On reboot sometimes my onboard gigabit nic gets eth0 and sometimes the
> pci 3COM gets eth0 and this causes havoc with another piece of SW I run.

Generally relates to the order of loading of the modules. eth0 is the
first network adapter identified. If you have adapters that are
identified by different modules, the order of load of the modules
counts.

See also the Ethernet Howto:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html