[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Wiley Siler wsiler at education2020.com
Thu Jul 14 12:56:43 MST 2005

No idea on the phone ports but I doubt it as 100Mbit is sufficient and
the parts are cheap for the makers of the phones.

Not a bad switch but since you get 4 ports (one is used for connect to
wall) you may want to just up for the 8 port unless you know only two
people will use each switch.  You won't regret it.  I also prefer
Linksys for most small switches but that decision is mostly a matter of
preference and features.  Look out for duplex issues, make sure you get
FULL.  Also beware the hub as stated before.  For most Gigabit parts it
seems to be a non-worry but just to throw that out there.

Adding switches like that only offer a problem if you consider backplane
speed.  The backplane of a Netgear 5 port is not going to be as high as
that of a 24 or 40 port HP.  As example, I have a 100baseT HP 40 port
that has a 9 gig backplane so you can see how port count is important
compared to backplane bandwidth.  But since the port count is lower on
those switches, there really is less contention for the bandwidth in
most cases.  The fact that you picked a switch that honors packet
priority seems like a good step.  Other than that, as long as you are
not daisy chaining these (serial) then all should be well.  Connect one
port of you main switch to one end user switch and only one switch.
Never string one room to the next room to the next room, etc, etc.  You
may get a little bottle neck if two users on an end switch were both
pulling from an internal resource but I doubt your users will notice.

Sorry if any of that is just way to obvious and you already knew them.
I just like to throw those things out there just in case.

Cheers,
Wiley

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: