[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 on Asterisk?

Roland Zagler r.zagler at fog.at
Thu Jul 14 06:39:10 MST 2005

Hi Michael,

i run several 7960 and 7940 on our network, and they run smooth
and without any complications.

you will have to upgrade them using the SIP firmware from Cisco
(i use versions 7.4 and 7.5 at the moment), you can download them
from Cisco's Homepage but you will need a CCO account with a contract
for that (or grab then via the e*onkey network, search for "P0S3",
0 is "zero", not the letter "O"!!!). You should use
SIP on the phone that supports many more features of Asterisk's SIP
channel than any other implementation.

all is well documented on the wiki on how to upgrade the phone but
unfortunately you will have to spend some time in setting up your
asterisk and the TFTP-configs for the phone to get it working properly.

some links i used in the most early state of getting them to work:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Setup%20SiP%20on%207940%20-
%207960
http://www.it4u2.com/asterisk2.htm
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

once you upgraded your phone to SIP firmware, which is the most tricky
part of the work, the configuration of Asterisk should be done in a
few hours for a newbie to Asterisk.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Roland