[Asterisk-Users] asterisk number of calls

Rob Lith connection.telecom at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:05:11 MST 2005

Altus

Have a look at http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20dimensioning
"
How fast/big must my machine be in order to serve my needs?
How many simultaneous calls can Asterisk handle?"

Also:

We've been doing some benchmark experiments on a 3GHz HT box with 1GB
of ram, mirrored traditional IDE disks. The box has a Digium quad-PRI,
a TDM40B, a TDM22B and a Sirrix quad-BRI board in it.

This box can run 120 active calls over 4 PRI spans. Its running
MusicOnHold into 60 of the channels, playing various GSM prompts into
the other 60. The "user" cpu usage is about 25%, the "system" cpu
about 25% also.  (I imagine the system cpu will go down if I remove
the "extra" boards).

I can add to that 5000 registered SIP peers and 5000 registered IAX2
peers - total of about 100 registration refreshes per second.  That
adds about 40% more user CPU and pretty much fills up CPU.  Audio
quality is still perfectly fine though, and PRI slips few and far
between.

Load average for the whole mix sits between 5 and 10.  About 550Kb/s
out and 400Kb/s out on the ethernet for the registration traffic.

Rob
Connection Telecom South Africa