[Asterisk-Users] Any suggestions for an IP phone?

jjones at quiddesign.com jjones at quiddesign.com
Wed Jul 13 12:41:44 MST 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 8:44 AM, dbruce wrote:

> Feature for feature, the polycom phones are much better than the cisco
> phones.
>
> Presence: Polycom = yes, Cisco = no
> Messaging: Polycom = yes, Cisco = no
> Microbrowser: Polycom = yes (on IP600, xml), cisco = yes (on 7940
> and 7960 -
> cmxml - much harder to program)
> Auto-Answer: Polycom = yes (via configuration files and Alert-Info
> header),
> cisco = yes (through a manually configured second line)
> Call Appearances: Polcom = yes (up to 8 per configured line), cisco
> = yes
> (up to 2 per configured line)
> Ringtones: Polcom = yes, Cisco = yes
> Upgradable Firmware: Polcom = yes (simple procedure), Cisco = yes
> (not so
> simple, sometimes very complex procedure
> Sound Quality: Polycom = excellent, Cisco = excellent
> Configuration: Polycom = very comprehensive, Cisco = basic
> Price: Polycom = $300USD (IP600), Cisco = $320USD(7960)

First we are a Polycom shop and have been very happy with them. But
one area which is lacking that Cisco is MUCH better at is
diagnostics. By telnetting into a Cisco you have access to everything
on the phone. You can also view layer 2 info and much more which you
cannot do on a Polycom. When troubleshooting this is vtial
information to have.