[Asterisk-Users] Any suggestions for an IP phone?

Patrick Friedel pfriedel at copweb.com
Thu Jul 14 08:57:04 MST 2005

Pavel Jezek wrote:

> according to this debate, I would like to try snom 360 still more
> (features, opensource support, linux based) .... ;-)
> any good or bad experience with support from snom? or reliability of
> snom phones?
> PJ

  I've been fiddling with a set of Snom 360's for a while now and really
the worst I can say about them are:

1)  The buttons feel.  Odd.  They seem to be wearing in, though.  When I
first got them they were a bit stiff/unresponsive, but my main testing
phone is nicely broken in by now.

2) Occasionally my phone's display has gotten garbled.  But I'm fast and
crazy and running with the beta firmware.  Some of the stuff in 3.60k
beta made subscribe/notify seem to work better, but both 3.60k and q
both garbled the screen.  3.60l seems stable, though.  The worst is the
occasional inexplicable screen clearing events.  It _seems_ like the
phone is still fine, but it has forgotten about the screen entirely.
Again, I think that's a beta firmware issue.

3) Related, Snom releases new firmwares for free on a fairly regular
basis.  Which is good and bad.  Read it as you will.

4) Snom seems to pay attention to this mailing list, they've answered at
least one of my questions already.

5) The screen seems..  Underutilized.  I mean, right now I have 4 button
labels, a big analog clock and date, my line appearance and a slightly
goofy snom.com logo.  Incoming calls do a little song and dance, but it
seems like you could do more with the display and rely less on the hard
lights.  OTOH there would be an application break from the 190 firmware
for doing this.

6) There are still the odd little corners where there's some polish
missing - e.g. usually the display indicates which button mode you're in
(abc, ABC or 123), but you find yourself in places where it doesn't.
Usually after you've changed modes to deal with the occasional password
issue.

7) Odd personal complaint, but snom hasn't learned the trick of tucking
a pound of iron away in the base of the phone to make it seem more
sturdy that I like out of telecomm products.

8) Memory?  I've started seeing low memory warnings with 2 line
appearances and under 30 phone book entries.  (fortunately project
Ghetto Queue failed to work and I went back to a single line..)

    For the most part I'm really happy with them, though.  There's a
learning curve, but what doesn't have one?  I say this as someone who
hasn't touched any other hardphones, though, so take it with a grain of
salt.