[Asterisk-Users] How to slow down dialing

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Thu Jul 7 09:55:03 MST 2005

Randy MacKay wrote:

>I would like to know if it is possible to slow down the dialing process in asterisk.
>
>I have 4 of my 8 phone lines that are VoDSL.  When we try and dial out these 4 VoDSL Lines, the number is often miss dialed, or incomplete.  I added a  wait before Asterisk tries to dial the whole number, but that has not solved my problem.  If I use a regular phone and dial out these lines, they work fine.
>
>My assumption is that asterisk dial tones are too fast and I would like to try slowing them down, or spacing out each digit, to see if this helps.
>
>I am using two TDM04B cards to connect the 4 pots and 4 VoDSL Lines.
>
>Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Randy

Assume you are dialing DTMF -

The DURATION of  Asterisk generated tones can be one source of  the problem.
Those smarter with the code can be more specific, but MANY telco related
systems generate tones that are too short , 75-80 Ms  should work, but
frequently they are as short as 50 Ms.
Interdigit time is another possibility.
Both probably can be adjusted in the source and  recompiled, but  the
smarter code guys need to address that.
Inserting multiple "w" in the dial string will mask any slow dialtone
issue, as Asterisk doesn't detect dialtone either.
As an aside, it has been found that the DETECTION of dial pulses (
remember pulse dialing? ) inbound on a TDM FXS interface is also too
restrictive, and can be corrected in the driver source.
Anyone interested, E-mail me off list.

John Novack