[Asterisk-Users] Linux Distribution for Asterisk server use

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Jul 3 12:21:50 MST 2005

On Sunday 03 July 2005 15:06, Subhi S Hashwa wrote:
> In a business enviroment, you discovered an undocumented issue with XYZ I
> want to have the peace of mind and assurance that I woun't be stuck out in
> the cold waiting for a response from a mailing list or getting insults from
> someone on irc, it's how much is your time worth to you question and how
> long your customer is willing to wait for you to fix the system, think
> SLAs.

Most businesses rant and rave about the beauty of SLAs and vendor support
until they see what it costs... then they are suddenly alright with
alternatives.  I've seen it dozens of times over the years.

I want SLA service but without SLA prices.  :-)

As far as "waiting for a mailing list or insult on IRC" goes though --
typically when you get a problem that requires an answer from one of those
avenues you've done something to change the system.  90 times out of 100
undoing the change will fix it and suddenly it's not a crisis anymore.

Typically I only see (and give) rude behaviour on IRC or the lists when people
come off demanding answers.  (Back to the SLA argument again, I suppose.  If
you want to demand that someone help you or that it's their job to help you
then yeah, I suppose you should pay for the privilege.)

-A.