[Asterisk-Users] Linux Distribution for Asterisk server use

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Jul 3 12:22:28 MST 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 08:06:13PM +0100, Subhi S Hashwa wrote:
> Quoting Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>:
>
> > Actually this is incorrect: Everybody can provide support for CentOS,
> > Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, FreeBSD, or whatever. With RedHat or SuSE
> > you're locked to a single vendor to provide maintinance.
>
> You're already locked in (to Digium)

You've already gave me 1000$. So why on earth won't you give me  not an extra
1000$?

Anyway, you're not. Unless you bought their prioprietary version. Avoiding a
vendor lock-in is indeed a good argument against buying that.

> You're missing my point.
>
> In a business enviroment, you discovered an undocumented issue with XYZ I
> want to have the peace of mind and assurance that I woun't be stuck out in the
> cold waiting for a response from a mailing list or getting insults from someone
> on irc, it's how much is your time worth to you question and how long your
> customer is willing to wait for you to fix the system, think SLAs.

Now what would it take for someone to give you an SLA for a free distro?
In fact, there are those who provide it. E.g: see link from my message.

> Telephony is a critical system to a business, if your phone system is down your
> business is as good as dead. If it costs me £600 for OS with support for 3
> years, it's a price worth paying in the grand scale of things. You're buying
> Xeon server, Digium card, Digium license for G729 why not pay a small amount of
> money for peace of mind if the OS decides in the future it doesn't like your tie
> one day. Think of it as insurance.

It's not that small an ammount, BTW. And the standard SLA naturally
won't cover the Asterisk packages.