[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and DHCP

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Fri Jul 1 00:46:53 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 10:15 +0300, laine.marko at porilainen.com wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am working with asterisk and trying to get it work in DHCP network, where
> asterisk gets a DHCP address as well as other computers (IP-phones). So far,
> I've have got asterisk working with static IP address where phones are getting
> their IP from DHCP server.
> Is it possible at all to phones to find asterisk server if it gets random IP
> address from the DHCP server also? I mean, is there some settings in asterisk
> how I can bypass IP settings and force it to work with dynamic IP address?
>
> Thanks for any help and guidance!

IMHO It's not really a good idea to have important servers on a dynamic
internal IP, what does it achieve?

Look at the manual for dhcpd and you will see that you can have IP
addresses fixed by the MAC address of the NIC, best of both worlds
because you can use the DHCP server to send name server settings but the
phones can always find * by IP.

Otherwise welcome to the world of a full DNS server that allows dynamic
updates.

--
Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>