[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and DHCP

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Jul 1 03:20:55 MST 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:15:20AM +0300, laine.marko at porilainen.com wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am working with asterisk and trying to get it work in DHCP network, where
> asterisk gets a DHCP address as well as other computers (IP-phones). So far,
> I've have got asterisk working with static IP address where phones are getting
> their IP from DHCP server.
> Is it possible at all to phones to find asterisk server if it gets random IP
> address from the DHCP server also? I mean, is there some settings in asterisk
> how I can bypass IP settings and force it to work with dynamic IP address?

How exactly do you expect them to identify the "asterisk server"? Why
not use a host name? Distribute it by DNS or by any other means.

If you don't know exactly how, then what DHCP server are you using? I'm
currently using dnsmasq which works great for a simple dns/dhcp server
and so far was good enough for all the phones we needed to configure.

Setting a static IP is as simple as adding a line to /etc/hosts and a
line to /etc/ethers.