[Asterisk-Users] Re: No ringback over IAX - LiveVoip

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Jan 30 07:31:15 MST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On January 29, 2005 11:29 pm, Brian Dingman wrote:
> > This is driving me crazy. I have resorted to using the m option in the
> > Dial command just so folks don't hang up. I can't believe nobody else
> > is having this issue.
>
> Simple test: try it with another VOIP provider.  Throw $5 at a nufone account,
> or an iax.cc account.  See what happens.  Hell you're already saying it's
> working with other providers, so what's your data showing you?
>
> Why do people insist on staying with VOIP providers who provide spotty
> performance and half-assed answers to technical support issues?

Same reason people stick with Gentoo after a stage one installation. ;) I
have a theory about Gentoo that explains the rabid nature of Gentoo fans.
I believe that people that radically defend Gentoo and it's stage one
installation process are people that have fought through the process and
gotten a system to work. After spending 2 days working at it, the last
thing they want to do is admit that they are a total idiot for wasting 48
hours of their life getting their system to a login prompt, so in a
classic case of denial, they become raging defenders of the cause. If they
convince themselves, and others that Gentoo is the best thing since sliced
bread, they feel better about themselves.

Now, with crappy VoIP providers it may be that they just do not want to
let go of the dream. Or, they just want to recover the value of the money
they have deposited with that company. ;)

P.S. I have no experience with Livevoip or their service, so I have no
idea if it is crappy or not. However, pretty any much VoIP service
delivered over the public, non-QOS controlled Internet is going to have
it's share of problems at some point in time.

                             KP-216-121-ST