[Asterisk-Users] Re: No ringback over IAX - LiveVoip

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Jan 30 08:53:56 MST 2005

On January 30, 2005 09:31 am, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> Same reason people stick with Gentoo after a stage one installation. ;) I
> have a theory about Gentoo that explains the rabid nature of Gentoo fans.
> I believe that people that radically defend Gentoo and it's stage one
> installation process are people that have fought through the process and
> gotten a system to work. After spending 2 days working at it, the last
> thing they want to do is admit that they are a total idiot for wasting 48
> hours of their life getting their system to a login prompt, so in a
> classic case of denial, they become raging defenders of the cause. If they
> convince themselves, and others that Gentoo is the best thing since sliced
> bread, they feel better about themselves.

Well if you're doing it for a learning experience that is one thing.  I used
LFS and scratchbox for those purposes.  :-)

> Now, with crappy VoIP providers it may be that they just do not want to
> let go of the dream. Or, they just want to recover the value of the money
> they have deposited with that company. ;)

Credit cards have a great feature where you can clawback any charge.  Use it
wisely.  :-)

> P.S. I have no experience with Livevoip or their service, so I have no
> idea if it is crappy or not. However, pretty any much VoIP service
> delivered over the public, non-QOS controlled Internet is going to have
> it's share of problems at some point in time.

Yes and no...  Typically speaking, once you're at your upstream provider's
router there are no bottlenecks.  It's all in the last mile, in my
experience.  If your provider's oversubscribing too much then that is another
issue entirely but typically if you're not on a consumer-grade connection
there isn't a whole lot of trouble with QoS and the internet, barring the
next worm.

-A.