[Asterisk-Users] Newbie

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Jan 29 17:18:47 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 19:06 -0500, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Jeff Konrade-Helm wrote:
>
> >I'm hoping I can get the initial installation and configuration done in
> >30-40 hours over two weekends and a few evenings. Does this sound
> >reasonable?
> >

> Jeff,
>
> To tell the truth, this project is difficult enough for a Linux old
> timer to grasp, let alone someone that has no experience with the OS
> whatsoever.  30-40 hours to get basics running for Asterisk at your
> current level of experience is not really a good estimate.
>
> I would suggest picking a distro, getting at least comfortable on it's
> install before even considering this project.

Unless you are in the middle of the sticks, you should have a users
group near by that will probably lend you a hand in getting the OS up
and running. Then the fun with asterisk will begin. You may be able to
call on the same people to help you out again.

If you can get help, you might pull off the 30-40 hours mark, but I
would suspect quite a bit longer. Also you should become better
acquainted with asterisk before you actually purchase your equipment.