[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Mon Jan 24 12:49:24 MST 2005

Steve Prior wrote:
> One word of caution in case you have X10 equipment.  I recently found out
> the hard way that some of APC's newest UPS models will cause interference
> with X10 signals going over the powerline.  I'm not talking about the X10
> signal not going through the UPC - that would be expected.  I'm saying that
> in my case it interfered with X10 signals elsewhere in the circuit the UPC
> was on.  Plugging the UPC into an X10 noise filter solved the problem.

I have an X10 dimmer switch in my bedroom. Initially, it operated fine,
no troulbe to speak of. Then, "all of a sudden", it started randomly
turning on the main room light in the middle of the night.

I didn't notice this for a while, mainly because it doesn't bother me
unless I'm already awake. But my wife mentioned that it wakes her up and
she has to get up to turn it off. (The remote switch seems to have give
out, but that could be the battery.)

I am remembering now, that one day I got mad at the power blinking out
so I brought in a heavy duty (well, at least heavy, two part, average
geek would only want to move one piece at a time) UPS for my asterisk box.

Could this be a symptom of the interference you spoke of?

What filters have you used?

Thanks.

--
Andrew Thompson