[Asterisk-Users] XEON or not

Nir Simionovich nirs at dimitel.com
Mon Jan 24 17:24:31 MST 2005

In general terms, all of the answers are correct and valid, but you need
to take into considerations a few more issues.

A. If you are utilizing SIP connections to the asterisk box, you need to
remember that SIP will generate traffic and I/O consumption even in idle
state. The more SIP connections, the more I/O you will use on the NIC.

B. The general rule of "no translation=no CPU" is correct in general
terms, but you must remember that applications like Voice Mail,
ZapBarge, even playback and background require CPU usage. For example,
and I have no idea why, the SayNumber application uses recursion for
some languages, ending up in more memory allocation.

C. If you will be doing H323 to SIP conversions, take into consideration
that it is performed via a Proxy function on Asterisk - This is not
signal switching, the packets are fully transcoded and proxied.

D. Working with AGI's will introduce a new issue of concurrent open
files, depending on your application. Make sure to close each file you
use once finishing with it, if not, you will end up with multiple file
descriptors open, and Asterisk will fly out of the window due to "too
many open files" error.

E. If working with a MySQL database, make sure you utilize the local
machine unix socket for MySQL, if not, MySQL connections will take IP
sockets, ending up in more I/O used.

Now, I admit that each of the above is fairly lite, however, the sum up
of all aspects together on the same box - makes up a very unhappy * box.

Nir S