[Asterisk-Users] VoIP-to-TDM processing on-card?

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 15:15:47 MST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:26:15 -0600, Steven Critchfield
<critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> While it will probably be handled when you move out of outlook, please
> wrap your lines at a reasonable length.

Please tell me that Gmail is fine... If it isn't, I'll have to find
something else.

> As of right now, I don't think the sangoma card supports any codec
> conversions and asterisk support at the same time. I say this as it
> supports the zaptel api and therefore should work similarly as the TE
> cards from Digium as far as asterisk is concerned.
>
> Also I don't see that the Wanpipe hardware supports codec translations
> either.
>
> I may be wrong on that though.

The AudioCode device seems to be the closest thing, but that's a
gateway. Still looking into it though, as well as what the Sangoma
offerings can do.

> It wasn't so much that your question was bad, but it didn't show that
> you had the proper understanding of the question. If you had stated
> which sites/URLs you had searched through to come to the conclusion that
> there might be a reason the list would be more authoritative that those
> URLs, it would have shown effort and therefore reason to be respected.
> You will find that even in supposedly rough groups, effort is respected.
> Few like freeloaders. Your question seemed like it was only about you
> having others do your work. The extra couple of lines you would have
> typed to show a bit of your previous effort would have sufficed to
> eliminate that appearance.

I understand, but the hardware list and the wiki I figured were known
by all. Anyway, I'll be sure to do that in the future.

> I'm not sure the disclaimer itself shows anything other than a stupid
> policy by your employer. At some point your employer should actually
> seek legal advice as to whether or not the disclaimer does any good at
> all. I could disagree with it and therefore not be bound by it. As the
> majority of the world isn't in any form of business agreements with your
> employer, there isn't much you could do to compel others to abide by it.

I'm no lawyer, and can't comment on that. I just find it sorta
annoying when I send email to personal contacts from work and they get
the disclaimer.

> When it comes down to it, reasonable hardware should handle decent
> amounts of codec translations. If you are trying to stuff more than the
> suggested amount of TE hardware in a box and do codec translation, then
> you need to rethink the cost of failure. If you are dependant on 12 T1s
> (value pulled from thin air, not necessarily related), You should see
> about spitting it out over 3 boxes so at most you only lose 4 T1s at a
> time. For most companies that rely on the phones, losing 1/3rd of the
> production is pretty expensive, losing  all of production is not
> tolerable. Any card that does the codec translation for you will
> probably make you more likely to consolidate too many interfaces into
> one machine.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping there would be cards that do the work.
If it comes down to it, I'll just go that route and build many boxes
with less TE cards.

Anyway, I checked all around in the options of Gmail and I don't see
anywhere to turn on or off HTML email, and I don't see anywhere that
mentions linewrapping. If there is a problem, feel free to contact me
off-list and let me know. I'll try my best to fix whatever is wrong.

--
Dana