[Asterisk-Users] VoIP-to-TDM processing on-card?

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Thu Jan 20 14:52:55 MST 2005

Steven Critchfield wrote:
<snip>

> Right now, I don't think there is any support for other codecs on TDM
> cards. There is however discussions about using GPUs for codecs though.
>
> When it comes down to it, reasonable hardware should handle decent
> amounts of codec translations. If you are trying to stuff more than the
> suggested amount of TE hardware in a box and do codec translation, then
> you need to rethink the cost of failure. If you are dependant on 12 T1s
> (value pulled from thin air, not necessarily related), You should see
> about spitting it out over 3 boxes so at most you only lose 4 T1s at a
> time. For most companies that rely on the phones, losing 1/3rd of the
> production is pretty expensive, losing  all of production is not
> tolerable. Any card that does the codec translation for you will
> probably make you more likely to consolidate too many interfaces into
> one machine.

You are correct there is no tdm processing done on the sangoma card, but it does
handle all the communications protocol on the board unlike the digium cards.

Steve
--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)